Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Cutting the Pocket for the Neck Extension

Since then Cello Guitar will have a removable neck the fingerboard extension is not glued to the body so an extension of the neck is needed and that requires a pocket in the body.

Cut with a router and guide bushing using a template.

Template and pocket

With the extension inserted

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Head Plates and Inlay

Working on the head plates for the Cello Guitar and Tenor Ukulele. Wenge for the Ukulele and Indian Rosewood for the guitar.. Both with a Abalone "K"...

Head Plates and Inlay

Inlay inserted

Bound head plates with inlay

Monday, January 22, 2018


I'm updating some of my methods to get more consistent results. That includes how I make fretboards. I've made a new jig to taper then and now use a set of specially designed router bits to radius the fretboards.

The tapering method is not my invention but is shown several places on the internet including:

Taper jig, the movable fence is set a specific distance from the edge
and a spacer used to create the taper

Close up of the spacer, narrow end first then the wide end

Radius router bit, this one is a 16"

Full set up for routing, need a bit better dust collection

Fretboard attached to the carrier

The result, quite smooth right off the router

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Closed Up and Necks

Well things are going well both bodies are closed up and necks are well underway.

Both bodies and  progress on the necks.
Harp in the background waiting on some attention

Monday, January 8, 2018

Starting 2018

I've got some more time to dedicate to building now so working on two of the builds that were put on hold while I finished the Weissenborn.

A Tenor Ukulele and a four string longer scale I'm calling a Cello Guitar.. This one will have an arm bevel..

working on shaping the backing for the arm bevel on the Cello Guitar

and done

Side braces installed and to start closing it up

Back glued on the Tenor Uke