Saturday, July 18, 2015

Mandolin Coming Along

Well, I've made some progress on the Mandolin. I've done some veneers on the back & top of the headstock and trimmed it to shape using a piece of tool steel sharpened and set in a drill press. My preferred method for doing this. Very safe for the headstock & my fingers.

I've also rough tapered the neck so now it sort of looks like a Mandolin..

Guess I have to break out the go-bar deck next and finish the back .....

It is a really simple method, not fast as it takes many passes but easy and safe

See it does look like a Mandolin

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Restored Tenor Banjo

So I finished fixing up he tenor banjo I got on ebay well over a year ago.. It needed a new fretboard (it was missing one completely) and new tuners and a new tailpiece.. Plays good and sounds like - well a banjo...

It's a short sale (20") 17 fret one.

I've got it set up for Irish tuning GDAE..