Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Trying My New Fox Bender

I had some "issues" bending the Bloodwood bindings for this OM using my bending Iron so luckily I had a brand new Fox style bender I got from Blues Creek Guitars standing buy. After quickly making a bending form for this guitar (all of a 15 minute job).. I gave bending the bindings and perfling a try.

It worked like a charm. There are MANY methods out there for doing this mine was to, tape together then bindings, lightly spray with water and wrap in tinfoil. Then sandwich bottom to top, spring steel slat, bindings in tinfoil, spring steel slat and heating blanket. Heat to 305 degrees (a bit high but Bloodwood is hard to bend) then bend and cool then reheat to 250 degrees for 10 minutes and cool and remove, this seemed to end up with very little spring back..

Note since these bindings have perfling on the bottom they are left and right so you need to take that into consideration then orienting the bindings in the bender otherwise you will end up with all left or all right side bindings..

Can't wait to try this bender on some sides.

I actually bought the from and spring steel from Blues Creek and the controller and blanket from LMI

TADA.. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment